Monday, February 18, 2008

Papa Walt


Basically, there is my life before I read Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself," and my life after. I was lucky enough to be introduced to his work in my sophomore American Literature class, so I haven't had to live too long without Papa Walt. I've been re-reading "Leaves of Grass," which seems to have sparked thoughts of the universe, stars and the cosmos (or "Kosmos"). A few bits for your enjoyment, in words and pictures...

I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.



After the dazzle of the day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;

After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true.




All space, all time,
(The stars, the terrible perturbations of the suns,
Swelling, collapsing, ending, serving their longer, shorter use,)
Fill'd with eidólons only.


2 comments:

msbelle said...

Oh, all these pieces are exquisite. But I'm particularly fond of the moonstone earrings! I so love rainbow moonstone!

Double Blossom said...

Thank you! Moonstone is one of my favorites, too. :-)